PandaDoc: Free eSign, Business, and Enterprise plans
HubSpot: please see HubSpot's marketplace
This integration will work for Contacts, Companies, and Deals in HubSpot.
Watch an overview video:
- Install the integration
- Set up templates for HubSpot
- Passing information from HubSpot into PandaDoc (via fields)
- Use Roles and Role variables
- Push product information in PandaDoc
- Create and track documents
- Link a document to a deal in HubSpot
- Update a document with values from HubSpot
- HubSpot + Free eSign plan
Variables: You can pass information from HubSpot to PandaDoc documents automatically with the help of variables.
Products: Transfer product information from HubSpot deals to PandaDoc pricing tables.
Create documents: You can create PandaDoc documents from HubSpot Deals, Contacts, and Companies.
Status tracking: You can track document status in HubSpot.
How to Install the PandaDoc <> HubSpot Integration
Who can install? Account Owner, Admins
- Make sure you’re logged into your HubSpot account. In PandaDoc, go to Settings > API&Integrations > HubSpot, and click Connect HubSpot. This will open a new window, click on ‘Grant Access’.
- Go to HubSpot, and open any Deal, Contact or Company record. Over on the right side of your screen, you will see the PandaDoc module!
Pass information from HubSpot into PandaDoc
This functionality isn't available to eSignature plan users.
In order to push information from HubSpot into PandaDoc documents, you must set up your template first to determine what and where to pass. In the sections below, we'll tell you how to pass information from HubSpot fields into PandaDoc text block and product information into pricing table. First, learn how to pass info with variables.
- Open your template (click here to learn how to create a new one)
- Use HubSpot Variables: inside HubSpot on the right, scroll down to the PandaDoc module. Click on Actions > Show PandaDoc tokens
- Copy these tokens/variables with the square brackets and paste them into a text block in your template
- When you create a document using this template information from HubSpot will be populated through variables.
Use HubSpot custom properties as variables
- Open your Deal, go to Actions > select View all properties;
- Next, click on Set default properties on the left panel and set up this property to be viewed in the About this deal section > Save;
- Open the Deal > find your property on the left > fill in the value;
- After that, scroll down to the PandaDoc module on the right, and click Actions > Show PandaDoc tokens to find your variable there. To have it populated in the documents, simply copy the variable and paste it into a text block in your template.
Passing information from HubSpot into PandaDoc (via fields)
You can pass data into PandaDoc fields similarly to how variables operate. Unlike with variables, however, you don’t need to include square brackets.
In the list of tokens, copy the token without square brackets into Merge field.
Once the document has been sent, the recipient will see the pre-filled data and be able to update this field, provided the field has been assigned to them.
Use Roles and Role Variables to populate contact info
Contact information is not populating when you are creating documents from a deal or company object? Unfortunately, contact variables are not available within a deal or company, but there's a workaround. Template Roles and Role variables are a great way to pass some contact data while still creating documents within a deal/company. You will be able to pass the first name, last name, email address, phone, company name, job title, street address, city, postal code, country, and state/region of a contact associated with a deal or company. Please note, that variables are not available to eSignature plan users.
In case you pre-assign a recipient on the template level, they will be automatically assigned to the role when the document is created.
- In your template, click + Add roles at the top and add one
- Click on Variables and find your specific Role name
- Click the duplicate icon next to a variable to copy, and paste it into your template. Example: [Client.Name]
- When creating a document from a deal/company, assign the contact associated with it to the Role you created
Note:A contact connected with a HubSpot record will appear in the dropdown menu when assigning recipients to roles. To assign a recipient from your PandaDoc contacts start typing their name or email address.
Expand for important information about variables
- To use variables that are mapped to other fields in PandaDoc or your CRM, they must match exactly. Variables are case sensitive, and one wrong character will cause the token to not populate. Example: [Contact.Address] [contactaddress]
- Variables will not work across all objects. To find the list of variables available to use for your HubSpot record, go to Actions > Show PandaDoc tokens. If you create a document from a Contact, you may use Company and Contact variables. If you create a document from a Company, you may use only Company variables. If you create a document from a Deal, you may use Company and Deal variables.
- The value for the variable is pushed from the CRM database. Within the CRM, you can apply different formatting for the data (for example, currency sign, decimal separators, etc.). However, it will not be passed to the PandaDoc document. For example, the Deal amount is shown as $123,456.00. When passed through [Deal.Amount] to the document, it will only pull plain numbers (no commas included).
Push product information in PandaDoc
HubSpot Products are available on HubSpot’s Professional and Enterprise Plans.
What information will be transferred:
- Discount on the Line Item level
- Line Item name
- Line Item description
What’s not supported:
- Taxes (since taxes are not supported in HubSpot);
- Recurring payments set up in HubSpot will be transferred as a one-time payment option to PandaDoc, since PandaDoc doesn’t support recurring fees
- Products list order. In a PandaDoc pricing table, products might be listed in an order different from the one in HubSpot.
How to send products from HubSpot
Short video guide:
- In your template, select the pricing table you’d like to populate. Then click Properties at the top of the table, in the table's properties on the right, turn on the toggle that says Data merge.
- Make sure your products are attached to your Deal record in HubSpot.
- Create your document from your Deal record in HubSpot. Check your pricing table to make sure your products populated.
- In order for the discount to be displayed in the pricing table, click the plus sign on the right of the pricing table and select Discount from the hidden columns. You can add the Discount column in advance in your template.
Create and track documents
- Go to HubSpot and open any Contact, Company or Deal record. Then click on ‘Create Document’;
- Choose the template you’d like to use and assign your recipients. Then review your document and make any necessary changes to customize it for your recipient;
- Click Send, and follow the prompts to customize your document’s title and email message;
- Go to the PandaDoc module in your HubSpot record to track the status of your document.
Link a document to a deal in HubSpot
If you’ve created a document in PandaDoc that you’d like to link to a deal in HubSpot, we’ve got you covered!
- Make sure you’re logged into both HubSpot and PandaDoc.
- In your PandaDoc tab, open the document, then click the HubSpot icon on the right.
- Click Link document and you’ll be prompted to select a deal from your HubSpot account. Choose a deal and click Link. The list will display all deals you have access to, and the ten deals you’ve most recently updated will be listed at the top.
- On the right, under “Deal Info,” you can view the deal’s created date, status, and total amount. Please note, the deal info displayed in PandaDoc may need to be refreshed to ensure you’re viewing the latest update. If the deal amount or created date shows “Unknown,” it means this field is empty in HubSpot.
- Now go to the HubSpot deal record. The document will be displayed in the PandaDoc module as if it were created through HubSpot!
In order to unlink a document from a deal or link it to another one, select three vertical ellipses next to the deal's name and select Unlink Deal from the dropdown. If you’ve created the document from another object (Company, Contact), you’ll be unable to unlink it from that object, and also unable to link it to a deal or view related information.
If the integration with HubSpot isn’t connected to your account, you’ll see one of the errors shown on the screenshots below. Either contact your PandaDoc Workspace Admin to have the integration connected, or, if you are the Admin, connect it yourself in Settings > Integrations.
Update a document with values from HubSpot
Note:We’re gradually releasing the functionality to update product information in a pricing table to our customers so you might not have it in your account just yet.
Note:To use this feature, the document’s status must be “Draft.”
If you update information in your deal after the document has already been created or linked to the deal, you can easily update your document with the new values from the linked deal. Here’s how:
- Within the PandaDoc document, go to the Integrations panel by clicking the HubSpot icon on the right.
- Under Document Data, click Import from CRM.
- The variables and product information in your pricing table (quantity, unit price, and unit discount) will be updated with the correct information from HubSpot. You’ll be unable to update PandaDoc fields or role variables.
Note:Your document must be created via HubSpot to update product information from your deal in the pricing table.
HubSpot + Free eSign plan
Use our HubSpot integration with your Free eSign account!
- Create documents: Build PandaDoc documents from Contacts, Company, and Deal objects in HubSpot.
- Linking documents: Create documents in PandaDoc, then link them to your HubSpot deals
- Status tracking: Track document status in HubSpot
Follow these steps to install PandaDoc from HubSpot's marketplace and connect the integration. If you don’t yet have a PandaDoc account, you can sign up as you install the PandaDoc app in HubSpot's marketplace.
Create a document
Open any Contact, Company, or Deal, then select Create document in the PandaDoc module on the right. Once you upload your PDF or .docx file, you can add fields to the document, assign these fields to recipients, then send the document to your customers/prospects for signature.
Link a draft document to a deal in HubSpot
Start by opening a document in Draft status. Select Apps on the right, then click +Add. Next, select Link and choose one of the deals in HubSpot.
When creating documents via HubSpot, you can use the integration with our more robust plans featuring Editor capabilities. Simply choose a demo template in the “Create document” window.
With a Business or Enterprise plan, you can pull HubSpot information such as field values and products directly into documents, using variables and pricing tables in your template.
Can I update deal status once a document has been signed?
Not within our integration. However, you can use Zapier to update deal status once a document has been signed.
Some of my HubSpot variables aren’t populating
There are a few reasons this could happen.
- The variable characters haven’t been matched exactly to the mapped variable. Go to Actions > View PandaDoc Tokens to verify that they match.
- You’re using a variable from another HubSpot record type that isn’t supported in the record from which you’re creating your document. For example, Deal tokens/variables won't work when you create documents from Contacts.
- No value has been provided in the property mapped to your HubSpot variable.
My products aren’t transferring into the pricing table
- Check whether the pricing table in the template from which you’re creating documents has "Data merge" enabled. To do that, select the pricing table you’d like to populate. Then click Properties on the floating panel, in the table's properties on the right, turn on the toggle that says Data merge. Now you can start creating a document.
If option 1 doesn’t help or is irrelevant, ask someone on your team with Super Admin permissions access in HubSpot to reconnect the integration (recommended by HubSpot). To do this in PandaDoc, go to Settings > Integrations > HubSpot > click Disable. Then, enable it back.
PandaDoc continuously asks you to sign in
It’s likely you have the “Block third party cookies” setting enabled in your browser. Depending on which browser you’re using, follow one of these links to disable this setting:
In Safari, go to Preferences > Privacy > Manage website data. Click Remove all, or select hubspot.com and pandadoc.com and click Remove.
Additionally, you may need to disable "Prevent cross-site tracking" setting in Safari (it should be turned off):
Follow one of the links below to learn how to disable this setting in other browsers: