Watch our video guide on importing products through CSV
Import your products
Note:we only support UTF-8 encoded CSV files. You can import up to 100,000 products at a time. Maximum file size is 30 MB.
Prepare your CSV file
The easiest way to do this is to download our Sample CSV file (find attached at the bottom of the article) and fill it out according to the instructions below.
In order to populate PandaDoc catalog fields with your product data, you need to fill out the respective columns in the CSV, like this:
The default catalog item fields in PandaDoc are SKU, Name, Price, Cost (if enabled), Description, Currency, Images (only .jpeg and .png are supported), and Folder. In the CSV file, these fields are shown as columns.
How to set up each column
Refer to the table below for detailed instructions on how to format each column in your CSV file.
You can use HTML formatting to style text in the Description section https://www.w3schools.com/html/html_formatting.asp.
Note:for the images to be imported, they can be hosted in your own website as long as the URL is https, or you can use another image hosting website such as ImgBB, Imgur, Flickr etc. Get the direct URL to the image and add it to the CSV.
Import your CSV file
In PandaDoc, go to the Catalog and click on the ellipses (...) next to “New Catalog Item”. Then choose Import.
On the next screen, simply select your CSV file from your computer, and click on Import.
It takes several minutes for the system to process a file and import your products. So, you’ll receive a notification that the import has started, and when it’s finished you’ll receive an email.
Verify that your items have been added.
After you receive the email notification, go back to PandaDoc to verify that all of your products have been added.
Imported products will be located in your catalog root folder or in the folder you specified in the CSV:
Expand to learn how to delete a column or add a custom one.
You can delete any column from the CSV except for Name. You can add a custom column to your CSV file, it will be saved as a custom fields in catalog items. On the pricing table, you can add it as a custom column.
Expand if you already have a CSV file or want to create one from scratch
To map CSV file columns with PandaDoc catalog item fields:
- You must have column headers in your CSV file;
- Column headers must be named exactly as catalog item fields, see the table above;
- Follow the instructions from the table above to fill out CSV columns in the correct format;
- Delimiter to separate content/columns is a comma.
If CSV import failed, you’ll receive an email notification. In this case, open your CSV file and check the following:
- Make sure your CSV has column headers.
- For default columns, make sure you’re using the exact names as in catalog item fields. (e.g. Name, not Names). See the table above for the correct column names.
- Make sure your CSV doesn’t have empty rows across the product list.
Mass-update your catalog in PandaDoc
Provided you are not changing SKU codes, the easiest way to mass update your catalog is to export the PandaDoc product catalog as a CSV. Then update the CSV file and import it back. SKU numbers serve as a unique identifier of a product item, so when you re-upload your CSV with the same SKUs, the system will recognize them and map the products with the existing ones. This will update the information based on the new CSV.
Follow these steps:
- Open your Catalog and go to the folder you want to update. Click the three dots at the top and choose Export.
- You’ll see a popup confirming export has started.
- Go to your email inbox, and open the PandaDoc email to download your CSV file.
- Update your CSV and go through the import process as described above.
Note:if you change SKUs in the exported CSV and re-upload it back, the system will create a new of product for every SKU it doesn’t recognize.
Update your templates and content library items
You can update your templates and content library items with updated products automatically. Note, custom product fields will not be updated.
- Reach out to our support team at email@example.com to have the feature enabled for your account
- Export your products into a CSV file (see how in the next section)
- Update your products in the CSV, make sure you keep the SKU intact since PandaDoc relies on SKUs when updating your product catalog
- Import the CSV back into PandaDoc
- You will receive a notification email when your templates and content library items are updated.
Export your products
Export format: The file format will be in a CSV (Comma Separated Value) file.
Your export will include all default PandaDoc Catalog fields and any custom fields you have for your items. Some description fields may contain HTML tags, e.g. <p> or <div>.
PandaDoc can export up to 100,000 records at one time.
Note:you need to have at least one Catalog item the root folder of the Catalog to do the export.
Time to process the export: the export might take some time if there is a number of export requests from PandaDoc users.
Perform the export
Go to your Catalog (found on the left), in the top right, click on the “Export” button.
Receive notification email and download the CSV
Once the export has been completed, PandaDoc will send you an email to download the file.