You can set up an automated internal Workflow to send documents to designated approvers before sending them to your recipients.
Availability: Business and Enterprise.
Note:Account owner, Admins or Managers within a workspace can manage Workflow, and act as document Approvers (if selected as an Approver.)
How to use Approval Workflow
The approval Workflow feature is enabled and managed on the template level.
- Open a template, click the context menu > Setup Workflow. Use the toggle to enable the Approval option on this template:
- To add an approver, simply start typing their name or email address in the popup.
- To add a group of approvers, click “+Add Approver Group”, give it a name and add your approvers.
- Click “Save” once finished.
Note:a member of an Approver Group approves the document on behalf of the group.
You can set up Approval order and add the same approver multiple times if you need them to check the document on several stages.
Note:you cannot reuse the same Approver Group on other templates, you’ll have to re-create it.
Edit/Delete Workflow and Approvers
To review, edit or delete your workflow setup, go to your template, then click the context menu > Setup Workflow.
Click “Approval settings” to manage your Approvers and click the bin icon to delete an individual approver or an entire group:
Use the toggle to switch off Approval on your template:
you cannot switch on/off Approvals on a document.
What happens if an Approver is deleted from a workspace?
The Approver should be removed from the Workflow prior to being removed from the workspace. If not, the Approver will remain in the Approval Workflow and documents will remain stuck in the approval process. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if your document is stuck.
Sending documents for Approval
- Once a document is created, the document creator will send it for approval before it is sent to the recipient:
- The document status will change to “To Approve” and the Approver will receive the notification email. They can open the document and will have to options: Approve or Reject.
They can also provide an accompanying comment for the document creator
- Once the Approver rejects or approves the document, the document creator will receive an email notification along with the comment (if applicable).
The document status will be Approved or Rejected. If Approved, the document can be sent.
either Approver or document author can send the document once it’s approved.
If rejected, the document must be edited and resent for Approval.
Latest Activity in Document Info demonstrates Approval events.