Availability: All plans
Our installments feature offers you more flexibility to collect payments by splitting them into two parts.
This article will provide a detailed overview of how installments work in PandaDoc and guide you through the setup process.
How to set up installments
Warning:If you have payments set up in an existing document, we recommend removing the payment app from the document and adding it again to ensure compatibility with the installments feature.
- Open a template, document, or form, then select Apps in the right panel.
- Select Payments to add it.
- If you haven’t already configured it, select and set up your payment gateway.
- Within Payments, assign the payer and specify the payment amount.
Warning:The payment must exceed the minimum charge amount set by Stripe.
Note:Installments payment type will be disabled if Quote includes line-items with recurring pricing.
- Scroll down to Installments and select the gear icon.
- Choose "Split total into two parts" and establish the interval between payments. You can either add a custom interval or select one from the dropdown. Any custom intervals you type will be saved for future use.
Note:The interval cannot exceed 90 days.
- Customize payment percentages, if necessary.
- Select Save.
Payments will display the amount associated with the installment percentage you've configured in the Installments section.
After configuring your payment app and preparing the document, a reminder containing details about the payment app will appear when you send the document.
How to make installment payments for a document
Here’s what your customer will need to do to pay a PandaDoc document in installments:
- Review the document, fill in the required fields, and select Finish at the top of the page to complete it.
- After all parties have signed and finalized the document, the payer will receive a pop-up notification containing the payment summary. Both the document sender and the customer will be notified that the first payment is due.
- Upon selecting Continue to payment, the payer will be directed to the payment page.
- To make the first payment, the payer needs to choose a payment option, provide their payment details, and pay the first installment.
Once the first payment is complete, its status will transition to ”Paid” in the payment summary. After this, the payer can proceed with the second installment payment.
Note:The payer will be unable to make the payment for the second installment until the first installment has been paid.
How to track installment payments
Both the document sender and the payer will receive the following email notifications about installment payments:
- The first payment is due.
- The first payment is complete. The document status will remain as “Waiting for payment” until the second payment is complete.
- Reminder that the second payment is due in three days.
- The second payment is complete. The document status will become “Paid” at this point.
Additionally, the document sender can review payment activities in the Audit trail and Latest activity tabs.