A template is a master copy of your document. Let’s say you have a generic proposal that you send to the majority of your customers, and you only need to change a couple of specific things on the document but the rest of the information remains the same. In this case, you can create a template and use it over and over again.
Access your templates by clicking the icon on the left-hand side:
Click “Create” in the top right to create a new template. You will have a couple of options:
- “+Template” allows you to create a template from scratch using the PandaDoc editor
- “Upload” (see formats and limitations below) allows you to upload your own file or convert a .docx file into an editable PandaDoc
- Choose a template from our template gallery. Do check it out, they look awesome!
- You can mix and match the first two options inside the document later.
Supported file formats for upload: .pdf, .png, .jpg, .jpeg and .docx.
You may run into an error uploading your document if it meets any of the following criteria:
- Password protection
- Exceeds 50 MB or contains more than 200 pages
Alright, you have started your template. The very first thing to do is to add your roles. Roles are placeholders for future recipients, like Client, Accounting, Signer, etc.
Each role generates role variables. Variables are used as placeholders for dynamic information about your recipients that will change from document to document - Name, Address, Company name.
Add content through content blocks and fields for the recipients to submit information. Assign the fields to the template roles.
Alright, you have set up your template and are ready to generate a document. You can start a document from:
- The template by clicking “Create document” in the top right
- From the document list by clicking “Create” > “+Document” > choosing the template from the list
- From the template list by hovering over the template > clicking “Create document”
Then assign actual recipients to the template roles and click “Start editing.” And that’s it!
Your variables have been filled out with the recipient’s info, and fields have been automatically assigned to the recipients. It’s that easy! Set up a template once and save time generating professional-looking documents in a couple of clicks!