Note:PandaDoc's Classic editor is being retired and will be unavailable starting December 1st, 2021. If you are currently using this as your main editor, our team is working to migrate you over to our enhanced Editor 2.0. Please visit our FAQ or contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get upgraded.
Plan availability: all plans
Note:Some payment gateways charge transaction fees. See fee details for Square here.
The Square integration allows you to setup a “payment” content block for your recipients to pay directly through Square via Credit Card, through PandaDoc documents. Watch our short video guide to learn more:
Enable the integration
- Go to Settings > Payments > Find Square. Select the integration, then click Connect;
- Sign in into your existing Square account (or create a new one);
- Once done, you will see a confirmation screen that the authentication has been successful.
Set up the payment block
You can use the payment integration on both your templates and documents, however we recommend configuring the payment block in your templates so that every document created from that template will inherit those settings.
the integration works on editable templates and documents only.
In a template/document, go to Content > Blocks, and then click Payment. The payment block will be added at the end of your template/document.
You can only have one (1) payment block added per template/document.
Payment Block Options
Once the block has been added, you will see a list of options on the right side to configure it:
Payer: Choose “Any recipient” or assign a specific role/recipients to the payment block.
Note:if it's a specific recipient, you must assign a field to them for them to be able to complete the document and make the payment.
Currency: set payment currency.
Payment Amount: you have two choices - pull from Pricing table or set a custom amount. You can also select multiple pricing tables to be included.
Percentage of total: set a percentage of the payment amount. Excellent option if you want your recipients to make a “down payment”.
Payment Amount: review the current amount to be paid.
Add other payment methods for your recipient to choose from
You can enable up to three payment methods per document to give your recipient a choice of payment.
- Click in the payment block to pull up the payment settings
- Find Payment Methods and select the gear icon next to it
- Now choose payment methods and add a payment gateway for each of them
- Click Apply
- Review payment methods on the right
When the recipient clicks Submit payment, they will be required to choose from the available options:
Payment block text options
You are able to modify the text that is shown on the payment block. Additionally, you can use it as an invoice. Your options include: “Title”, “From”, “To”, “Custom Message”, and “Custom Terms and Conditions”.
Tokens will work in the “From” and “To” field sections. A good use case is using a Template Role Tokens to populate the First, Last, Email Address and Company information.
Send the document and collect payment
- Once you are ready, send your document;
- Your recipient will open the document and they must first fill out and “Finalize” the document. Then, the document status will change to “Waiting for Payment”. Once they are ready to pay, they will click “Submit Payment”;
- They will be directed to fill out their Credit Card Number, Expiration date and CVV code, so that they can make the payment;
- Once the payment has been cleared, the payment block (invoice) will now show “PAID”. The document status will become "Paid". You will receive a confirmation email to notify you the payment has gone through.
Note:if your document has more than one signer, all of them must finalize the document. Only then, the document can be paid.
If the payment was made through another solution, you can change document status to Paid manually.
Send Payment Reminder
If you are awaiting payment for your document, you can send your recipient a reminder. Click Recipients on the right, click the recipient name > “Send payment reminder”.
Set up recurring charges through Square
Square allows you to make additional charges or set up a subscription for any customer that you have (in your Square account) with associated billing details (CC info). View more details in Square.
- After any charge made via PandaDoc documents, new customers are located in your Square account with associated billing info.
- Then, in Square, go to your Square Dashboard, go to Invoices, select Create Invoice.
- Select Recurring from the drop down menu.
- Select a customer from your Customer Directory.
- Fill out the rest of the invoice. See more here.