Note:As we’re gradually releasing new Stripe Checkout payments to our customers, you might be using our legacy integration.
With our new Stripe Checkout integration, you can request payment right from a PandaDoc document by using the payment app with any payment method set up in your Stripe account. Alternatively, you can collect credit card details and charge later using the Card Details field.
A few important notes:
- When payment has been accepted in Stripe, it will have the name of the PandaDoc document in the payment’s description title
- Your customer will see a $1 charge if their payment fails. Stripe Support offers further details here
- PandaDoc transaction fee is $0.00 (may be subject to change in the future)
- The minimum charge is $0.50
- You can connect one Stripe account to several PandaDoc accounts. Please note that in case you disconnect Stripe from one of the accounts, it will be disconnected from all PandaDoc accounts
- Several Stripe accounts cannot be connected to one workspace. In case you need several Stripe accounts connected to one PandaDoc account, connect a separate workspace with a separate Stripe account.
- Stripe offers third-party payment methods based on location (e.g., Klarna is available in the US but not in Latin America)
- PandaDoc supports payment methods offered by Stripe if they support recurring payments (such as cards, digital wallets, and bank debits).
- PandaDoc does not currently support real-time payments, cash-based vouchers, bank transfers, or buy now, pay later methods.
- Connect your Stripe account to PandaDoc
- Add a payment to your document or template
- Send the document and collect payment
- Storing payment methods for future charges
- Collect payment information with Card Details field
- Set up recurring charges
- Setting up recurring charges (subscriptions) through Stripe.com
Connect your Stripe account to PandaDoc
Note:You can connect one Stripe account to several PandaDoc workspaces. Please note, in case you disconnect Stripe from one of the workspaces, it will be disconnected from other workspaces too.
First, open a template, document, or a form. Select Apps on the right panel and select Payment app. From here, select Stripe to connect it.
Note:Only the Account owner and users with an Admin or a Manager role can connect Payment gateways.
- Go to Settings > Integrations
- Select Stripe
- Select Connect, then sign in to your Stripe account.
Note that once you’ve connected Stripe, it’ll be selected as the default primary payment gateway in your workspace settings, and will be applied to all new templates and documents with a payment app. You can change your primary payment gateway in Settings > Workspace defaults.
Add a payment to your document or template
- Select Apps on the right panel
- Select Payment to add a payment app to your template or document
- Set it up by assigning a payer and setting a payment amount
Note:All payment methods you set up in your Stripe settings will be available to your clients during payment checkout. Our new Stripe checkout integration supports additional local payment methods such as direct debit in the European Union and ACH Direct Debit in the USA, making it even easier for global recipients to pay. Visit the Stripe page to learn more about the payment methods available per country.
Send the document and collect payment
- Once you’re ready, send your document.
- When your recipient opens the document, they’ll be informed that an online payment option is available, at which point they can add the required information and select Finish at the top of the page. After this, the document status will change to “Waiting for payment.”
- To proceed to payment, your recipient can select Pay.
Note:All payment methods you set up in your Stripe settings will be available to your recipients on a Stripe-hosted payment page.
Once payment is complete, the document status will change to “Paid.”
You and your recipients will receive a confirmation email notifying that payment is complete.
If you're sending a PandaDoc document to an existing customer with the same email address, PandaDoc will not overwrite their payment method. Instead, a new customer will be created in Stripe.
Storing payment methods for future charges
In certain cases, and with a recipient’s consent, payment details can be securely stored within Stripe. Two specific cases are:
- Manual subscription creation. If you obtain a customer's credit card information through the Card details field, you can manually create a subscription and charge the customer later with their consent.
- Automatic subscription creation for recurring payments. When collecting payments for recurring products, our system automatically initiates a subscription for the specified product. This allows for automatic charges based on the contract term indicated in your quote.
In addition, you can use the Card details field to store this information within Stripe and charge customers as necessary. You’ll need to ensure you collect the customer's consent as part of the process.
Some important notes:
- One-time payments: Note that credit card and bank details (for ACH direct debit payments) are not stored within the customer record for one-time payments.
- Pre-payments and installments: We currently don’t support pre-payments or installments, so storing payment details to charge the full amount later isn’t possible at this time. If you’d like to see this feature created, we encourage you to vote for it.
Collect payment information with Card Details field
- Add the “Card Details” field to the document
- Assign it to the recipient whose information you’re collecting
- Send the document
- The recipient can then open the document and submit their payment information
To access your recipient’s payment information:
- Open your Stripe account and select “Customers” in the top panel
- Select the customer, then “Actions” in the top right
- From here, you can create either a subscription or one-time charge
Set up recurring charges
You can set up recurring charges in your catalog and collect payment via Stripe by using a quote builder block.
Note:Quote builder block is a part of our CPQ add-on.
- Connect your Stripe account to PandaDoc
- Next, add a product with a recurring price to the catalog, then select it in your quote (available billing period options are weekly, monthly, quarterly, semiannually, and annually)
- Add a payment app to your document, then select the payer
- Make sure that the necessary quote is selected for payment
- Send your document
Once the client makes payment, a new subscription record will be created in your Stripe account and the next recurring charge will be collected automatically from the subscription.
Note:If you’d like to apply a discount for future recurring payments in the subscription created within Stripe, add it to the line items in the “Discount” column. If you’d like to apply the discount to the first recurring charge only and leave the subscription record in Stipe without the discount, add it in the section or grand total footer.
Setting up recurring charges (subscriptions) through Stripe.com
Stripe allows you to make additional charges or set up a subscription for any customer in your Stripe account with associated billing details (CC info). Further details are available on Stripe.com.
After a charge is made through a PandaDoc document, new customers are entered into your Stripe account, along with their billing details.
In Stripe, go to Customers, then select the customer you want to set up recurring billing for. Next, scroll down to Subscriptions and create one for this client.
I’m unable to connect my Stripe account
If Stripe asks you to create a new account once you’ve set up the Stripe Checkout integration, this could be connected to your permissions in Stripe or the compatibility of your account with PandaDoc. Please contact Stripe support for assistance.