Auto expiration is an option that will expire your documents automatically if the document is not completed after a certain period of time. The status of these documents will become “Expired”.
Plan availability: Business and Enterprise can set the expiration time up to 3650 days.
You can enable the ability to change document auto-expiration period in the Add-on store.
For the Individual and Professional PandaDoc plans, the expiration date is set to 60 days and cannot be changed.
document expiration period is 60 days by default for all documents.
What you need to know about auto expirations:
- Set and change auto expiration by X days before and after the document is sent;
- Turn on/off warning notification 1 day before the document’s expiration date before and after the document is sent.
- The warning notification is only available for signers and recorded under Activity > Actions;
- Expiration countdown appears in “Documents” if it is under 5 days;
- Once the document becomes “Expired”, it's no longer available for recipients;
- Changes in expiration settings tracked under Activity > Actions;
- Expiration countdown restarts when a document is edited and resent.
Auto Expiration setup for all templates and documents
Go to Settings on the lower left > Settings > Auto expiration. Your options are:
- Set “# of days” and
- “Warn signers 1 day prior to expiration”.
Click “Save changes” once finished.
Auto Expiration setup for templates and documents
You can set up auto expiration on a specific templates so that all new documents created from that templates inherit the expiration settings.
Open any template, go to More… > Settings > click the gear icon next to Expiration. Your options are:
- “# of days” and
- “Warning notification” for a signer 1 day before document expires.
Note:you can set up auto-expiration period the same way on a specific document.
Check Auto Expiration settings before sending a document
After you click on “Send” and modify the name of the document, you will see the “Send Document" popup. If you have “Auto-expirations” enabled for this document, you will see a clock icon, hover over it to check the settings.
Click on the clock icon to modify auto-expiration settings.
Modify expiration period on a sent document
Open the document, click More… > Settings > Expiration to modify the auto-expiration period.
Notification of auto expiration
See below an example of the notification email that your recipients will receive when the document is about to expire.
Review expired documents
4 days before the document expiration, document status will have a red circle around it. When the document has expired, it will show up in your documents list under “Expired” status.
Your recipient won't be able to access the document, they will see this message instead:
To remove the “Expired” status, you have two options:
- Change the document back to draft. To do so, to open the document, click on “Edit.” Change your content (if desired) and resend to your recipients.
- Change the document status to Completed by using the Manual Status Change feature.